The building at 1626 North Capitol Street in Bloomingdale was constructed in 1895 as the home of Engine Company 12, one of DC’s oldest fire companies. It operated as a working fire station for almost a century before the company moved out in 1992. In 2007, the three-story building was added to the National Register of Historic Places, and today it houses a bar and restaurant called Washington Firehouse, serving the community in a different — though still important! — way.
The restaurant draws on the history of the location, with the brass fireman’s pole still intact in the dining room, and decorative reminders of the building’s former residents on the walls, but the menu is packed with forward-looking modern American food and drink. Regulars recommend the smoked brisket benedict for brunch, which combines tender meat with rich, tangy hollandaise sauce and poached eggs. The St. Louis pork ribs are also popular and come with your choice of sides; choose potatoes or seasonal veggies.
Located just moments from Flats 130, Washington Firehouse is open seven days a week.
1626 N. Capitol St NW
Washington, DC 20002